Our current baby is Charlie, who will soon become our dog once our baby girl or boy arrives. He's a lab-border collie mix so he's a big boy at 80 pounds and is very sweet and lovable. Our neighbors adore him because he never barks. He's also pretty good with our nine-month old niece, but he is a bit oafish. Loves to step on our toes so I'm a wee bit nervous about him being around our newborn. Thought I'd make him the subject of today's post since I found a good online article called "Preparing Pets for the New Arrival."
Here's a few tidbits from the article I thought were the most helpful:
Before baby arrives
- Make the nursery off-limits. Paws on or in a crib can waken baby.
- Get your pet used to the baby’s belongings and furniture.
- Have the pet-sitter repeat your newborn’s name to your pet, showing the pet where the baby will sleep.
- Have someone bring home a clothing item your baby has worn and let your pet get used to the baby’s scent.
- Introduce your pet to the baby. Tell your pet the baby’s name and watch your pet’s reaction closely.