Saturday, January 19

Pregnant ladies Everywhere!

While walking to lunch yesterday during work, a coworker and I saw not one, not two, not three, but four very pregnant women on our short jaunt to the cafe. We both thought it was so odd because neither one of us had seen a pregnant person in our workplace let alone four VERY expectant mothers-to-be. Seemed very auspicious but had no idea what I was supposed to learn.

The pregnant-woman ambush continued on today at the YMCA. I taught my Saturday morning hatha yoga class, and a woman arrived in the middle of savasana, where we began the class. Once she popped up, I thought she was pregnant, but I wondered how to broach this subject with her. Since I didn't have a chance to speak with her before it began, I didn't want to assume (which spells ass out of you and me!) she was pregnant and hurt her feelings if she wasn't. So I took the safe route and just said what I was doing and told them "not" to do it... in a way telling her to do it.

Luckily after class she asked me when I was due so I knew we were both in "the club," and I admitted wondering about her status but didn't want to risk inquiring and being incorrect. We had a nice chat afterwards about our pregnancies and prenatal yoga, when another woman walked by and asked if we were talking about prenatal classes and if we had any at the Y. I said no I don't know of any, but perhaps if there's enough interest we can get one started. I'm excited to talk to my YMCA manager and see what he thinks. Maybe even have a "special" class to weigh interest and go from there.

So God, is that what you're trying to tell me with all these pregnant people surrounding me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if you got enough interest to start a prenatal yoga class with the Y. I am 22 weeks pregnant and have been doing my yoga practice at the northland YMCAs. Rex and Jackie are the instructors. For the most part I have not had to modify my practice yet (I did cut back on the number of power yogas I do a week), but I am beginning to see where I may need to in the near future. Especially when I feel the LO wiggling around in there when I am holding a certain pose. I would love to hear about some of the poses and variations you have found to work for you. It is hard for me to come up with variations on the fly when I am in the middle of following my instructor. I also wonder how long I can attend these classes before I will need to move to another class.

A Yoga Mama is a Rama Mama said...

Aunalise,
I have a prenatal yoga workshop set, and I think you for giving me the push to pursue it. Here's the post link about it: http://ramamama.blogspot.com/2008/03/announcing-my-prenatal-yoga-workshop-in.html

Saturday, March 15
Paul Henson YMCA
Prairie Village, Kan.
10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.

In terms of when you need to modify, I would just keep listening to your body and baby. It will tell you if something doesn't feel right. I'll try to focus more of my posts on modifications in the future. Also search prenatal yoga in my blog, and you might find some more answers (either in the search engine or tag cloud).

Let me know if you're going to attend the workshop! Bring pregnant friends!

A Yoga Mama is a Rama Mama said...

Aunlise,
I just want to make sure you're aware the one-time workshop has been canceled due to reflooring happening at the Y. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'll try to create another, longer podcast or videocast for prenatal yoga SOON! Let me know you saw the cancellation.

Marjie

Become a Facebook fan of Yoga Patch

Yoga Patch on Facebook